* Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from others: (0.5p)
1. A. legend B. lend C. defend D. pretend
2. A. parents B. brothers C. weekends D. feelings
* Which word has the main stress different from others: (0.5p)
3. A. muscle B. cancer C. special D. disease
4.A. vulnerable B. psychologist C. society D. responsible
II. Grammar and vocabulary:
A. Fill in the blank with the correct form of the verb in parenthesis: (1.5p)
She can’t answer your phone now because she (have)………...………a shower.
Food (store)................................................ in the stomach before it is broken down.
The boy (do)……....………… his voluntary work with his friends some years ago.
It’s easier (make)………………………..a complaint than to give an explanation.
They (watch)……………….. TV when we came.
6. Bill’s wife doesn’t let him (go).............................................to the party.
B. Fill in the blank with the correct form of the word in parenthesis: (1p)
1. In the 1890s, coloured people in South Africa were not treated ___________________ (equal)
2. Participating in a (compete)_________________________is quite stressful.
3. The (appear)_____________________ of her debut album is an important event in her life.
4. Let's throw (value) _____________________things away because of their little use.
C. Choose the best answer to complete the following sentences: (1.5 p)
1. The………. of warm clothes from the donors last winter was really meaningful to those poor children.
A. volunteering B. donation C. advantage D. charity
2. Acupuncture can ease pain and treat from simple to complicated ailments.
A. acupoints B. treatments C. points D. diseases
3. Teachers are supposed to………… responsibility for students’ education.
A. do B. join C. rush D. take
4. I often take part ..................social activities every weekend.
A. in B. for C. against D. over
5. She has an exceptional ability. It means she is a……..
A. devotee B. enthusiast C. talent D. idol
6.Bread is usually _____ wheat.
A.made of B.made with C.made from D.made by
A. Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer: (1.25 p)
Music influences people in different ways or the same person differently at different times. Music may seem to influence people differently. That is because people can react differently to the music. We are able to apply a choosing process to the music we hear. If someone hates jazz, then a jazz piece with a positive effect will probably not make him feel good. A happy song might appear to make an angry person angrier, yet it is not the music itself that is creating the anger; rather it is the positive effect of the music. The angry person does not want to accept the song's happy feeling: it points out his already existing anger, and makes that anger come to the surface. When a piece of music is played and we are listening to it, our body, mind, and feelings are being affected. The musicians of ancient cultures such as China, India, Turkey and Greece understood the effects of music. In fact, Pathagoras, in ancient Greece, introduced a whole science that concerned them. Because the musicians of these ancient cultures understood these effects, they created music that was positive, uplifting, and beneficial. Once the effects of music are better understood, the next step is to gain a better understanding of the music around us, and what effect it is actually having.
1. The text is about_____.
A. The science of music B. Understanding music
C. The effects of music on human feelings D. Music and an angry person
A. cannot be chosen B. affects everybody in the same way
C. affects us in different ways D. never makes us angry
3. According to the text,_____.
A. Everybody likes jazz B. Jazz always makes us feel better
C. No one likes jazz D. a very angry person sometimes do not accept music
4. In ancient cultures, there used to be a science that concerned the effects of music in_____.
A. China B. India C. Turkey D. Greece
5. The word "Once" has a close meaning to_____.
A. on time B. when C. because D. if
B. Choose the best option to fill in each blank: ( 1,25 p)
In the western customs (1) _____ hands is the customary form of greeting, but in China a nod of the head or slight bow is sufficient. Hugging and kissing when greeting are uncommon. Business cards are often (2) _____ and yours should be printed in your own language and in Chinese. Also, it is more respectful to present your card or a gift or -any other article using (3) _____ hands. The Chinese are enthusiastic applauders. You may be greeted with group clapping, even by small children. When a person is applauded in this practice it is the custom for that person to return the applause or a "thank you." (4)_______walking in public places, direct eye contact and staring is uncommon in the larger cities, especially in those areas accustomed to foreign visitors. (5) _____, in smaller communities, visitors may be the subject of much curiosity and therefore you may notice some stares.
1. A. taking B. shaking C. grasping D. hugging 2. A. exchanged B. changed C. transferred D. converted 3. A. pair B. couple C. double D. both 4. A. When B. Because C. So D. Although
5. A. Moreover B. Furthermore C. However D. Whatever
A. Find out the mistake in the following sentences: (1p)
1. Although she had no money herself, she succeeded in building schools for poor.
A B C D
2. My sister and Imake turns laying the table for meals.
A B C D
3. Do you get annoying if your parents ask you to help outin your free time?
A B C D
4.Even on the most careful prepared trip, problems will sometimes develop.
A B C D
B. Rewrite the following sentences, using the suggestions: (1.5 p)
1. You can go with us to the event. You can stay at home watching TV.
(using the coordinating conjunctions : "and", "or", "but" or "so" )