Student’s Full name : _____________________________
ENGLISH TEST No.1
Time Allowed : 45 minutes
Paper Code: 45.1.01
A. LISTENING: (1.0 pt)
Part 1: Complete the notes below. Write no more than two words and/or a number for each answer.
transport from Bayswater
Express train leaves at (1) _____________________________
Nearest station is (2) _______________________________
Number 706 bus goes to (3) _______________________________
Number (4) ________________________ bus goes to station
Earlier bus leaves at (5) _______________________________
B. PHONETICS.(1.0 pt)
Part 1: Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the rest.
1. A. scare B. rare C.grade D. fair
2. A. shower B. scold C. noun D. plough
Part 2: Pick out a word which is stress on different position from the others.
3. A. decorate B. complete C. educate D. dedicate
4. A. proportion B. amputate C. sympathy D. difference
C. VOCABULARY and GRAMMAR: (3 pts)
Choose the best answer to complete the following sentences.
1. He is a/an ________________________ leader whose work has a lot of influence on his staff.
A. religious B. conservative C. reserved D. influential
2. Young people are often ____________ to devote themselves to their career by the older generations.
A. held back B. inspired C. discouraged D. allowed
3. They were offered the first prize because they had a __________________ presentation on the pros and cons of urbanization.
A. well- behaved B. well-treated C. well-drawn D. well-prepared
4. He is a man of _________________. He is always willing to give other people what he has or earns.
A. enthusiasm B. conservatism C. sympathy D. generosity
5. “A new model of SUV will be _________________ in September, 2017”. said the CEO of Toyota Vietnam.
A. built B. launched C. repaired D. painted
6. Last year, she was diagnosed___________ lung cancer and doctor advised her to have an operation.
A. of B. in C. from D. with
7. After graduation from the University of Harvard, he __________ his own business in New York in 2005 .
A. had B. owned C. set up D. directed
8. She finds it difficult to __________________ a diet.
A. have B. stick to C. get D. gain
9. In the past National Assembly meetings, delegates from many provinces have proposed _____________ to the coastal sea water pollution in Central of Vietnam.
A. steps B. ways C. solutions D. methods
10. No one denies the fact that ___________________in big cities is much higher than that in the rural areas..
A. standard of living B. mindset C. lifestyle D. pace of life
11. It’s important that money of compensation form FORMOSA, Ha Tinh _________________over to the fishermen along central coastal line.
A. hand B. should hand C. handed D. be handed
12. A person who lives in a town or a city is called _________________.
A. urbanite B. inhabitant C. dweller D. peasant
D. READING: Part 1: Read the passage and choose one correct answer for each question.(1.5 pts)
One of the most popular literary figures in American literature is a woman who spent almost half of her long life in China, a country on a continent thousands of miles from the United States. In her lifetime she earned this country's most highly acclaimed literary award: the Pulitzer Prize, and also the most prestigious form of literary recognition in the world, the Nobel Prize for Literature. Pearl S. Buck was almost a household word throughout much of her lifetime because of her prolific literary output, which consisted of some eighty - five published works, including several dozen novels, six collections of short stories, fourteen books for children, and more than a dozen works of nonfiction. When she was eighty years old, some twenty - five volumes were awaiting publication. Many of those books were set in China, the land in which she spent so much of her life. Her books and her life served as a bridge between the cultures of the East and the West. As the product of those two cultures she became as the described herself, "mentally bifocal." Her unique background made her into an unusually interesting and versatile human being. As we examine the life of Pearl Buck, we cannot help but be aware that we are in fact meeting three separate people: a wife and mother, an internationally famous writer and a humanitarian and philanthropist. One cannot really get to know Pearl Buck without learning about each of the three. Though honored in her lifetime with the William Dean Howell Medal of the American Academy of Arts and Letters in addition to the Nobel and Pulitzer prizes. Pearl Buck as a total human being, not only a famous author. is a captivating subject of study.
1. What is the author's main purpose in the passage?
A. To offer a criticism of the works of Pearl Buck.
B. To illustrate Pearl Buck's views on Chinese literature
C. To indicate the background and diverse interests of Pearl Buck
D. To discuss Pearl Buck's influence on the cultures of the East and the West
2. According to the passage, Pearl Buck is known as a writer of all of the following EXCEPT
A. novels B. children's books C. poetry D. short stories
3. Which of the following is NOT mentioned by the author as an award received by Pearl Buck?
A. The Nobel Prize B. The Newberry Medal
C. The William Dean Howell medal D. The Pulitzer prize
4. According to the passage, Pearl Buck was an unusual figure in American literature in that she
A. wrote extensively about a very different culture B. published half of her books abroad
C. won more awards than any other woman of her time D. achieved her first success very late in life
5. According to the passage, Pearl Buck described herself as "mentally bifocal" to suggest that she was
A. capable of resolving the differences between two distinct linguistic systems
B. keenly aware of how the past could influence the future
C. capable of producing literary works of interest to both adults and children
D. equally familiar with two different cultural environments
6. The author's attitude toward Pearl Buck could best be described as
A. indifferent B. admiring C. sympathetic D. tolerant
Part 2: Read the passage and choose one correct answer for each question.(1.0 pt)
When Singapore became an independent, (1)_____________ state it decided to build up its (2)_________, and government organizations were created to (3)____________ this policy. However, this initial plan met with limited (4) ___________ due to a shortage of labour and land. It was therefore decided to develop the(5) ______________ sector of the economy instead.
Singapore is now a leading city, but planners are working to ensure that its economy continues to grow. In (6) ______________ to previous policies, there is emphasis on (7) _____________. In addition, land will be recovered to extend the financial district, and provide (8) ______________ as well as housing. The government also plans to improve (9) ___________ quality of Singapore’s environment, but due to the shortage of natural landscapes it will concentrate instead on what it calls (10) ____________.
1. A. multi-national B. self-sufficient C. innovated D. wide-ranging
2. A. agriculture B. trading sector C. shipping sector D. industry
3. A. control B. direct C. support D. carry out
4. A. success B. speech C. rate D. strategy
5. A. textile B. ship building C. service D. food processing
6. A. addition B. contrast C. comparison D. parallel
7. A. modernization B. industrialization C. decentralization D. urbanization
8.A. jobs B. entertainment C. employment D. factories
9. A. its B. mass C the D. a
10. A. beautification B. success C. potentiality D. possibility
Part 1: Rewrite the sentences using suggested words or complete the sentences to have the same meaning (1.pts)
1. During my luch time, she phoned.
=> She phoned when _________________________________________________________________.
2. It’s time they established a committee to investigate the mass murder of eight people in a family.
=> It is urgent that a committee _________________________________________________________.
3. I really think you ought to acquire a few manners. => I advise _________________________________________________________________________.
4. It was impolite of you to say that to her in public.
=> You should _______________________________________________________________________
Part 2: Write a short paragraph of about (80 – 100 words) on the following topic: Where would you like to live, in a big city or in the countryside? Why?:(1. pt)